Study of Prevalence of Thyroid Dysfunctions in Connective Tissue Disorders
Dr. Lalana Kalekar
Dr. Lokendra Thakur
Dr. Prerana Bhavsar
Dr. Amruta Digole
Dr. Amruta Bagul
Thyroid dysfunctions are detected in 41% of connective tissue disorders. Majority have autoimmune thyroid dysfunction; however Indian data is missing.
Aims & Objectives: To evaluate thyroid dysfunctios in connective tissue disorders. in This study was conducted of patients, having connective tissue disorders like Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Systemic Sclerosis, Sjogren’s syndrome, Dermatomyositis, Sarcoidosis, vasculitis and Spondyloarthropathy were studied. Patients were evaluated for coexisting thyroid dysfunctions.
Connective tissue disorders (CTD); Thyroid Function Test (TFT); Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA); Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE);
- Boelaert K, Newby P R, Simonds M J et al, Prevalence and relative risk of other autoimmune diseases in subjects with autoimmune thyroid disease . Am J Med.2010; 123:183-89.
- J. Larry Jameson, Anthony P. Weetman: Harrison’s textbook of internal medicine. Seventeenth edition, volume two: 2230-31.
- Arnaout, M., Nasrallah, N. and Ei-Khateeb, M. Prevalence of Abnormal Thyroid Function Tests in Connective Tissue Disease. Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, 1994:23(3), pp.128-132.
- Y. Gokhale. Thyroid dysfunction and systemic rheumatic disease JAPI Vol J 18
- Miry Blich, Alexander Rozin, Yeouda Edonte et al. Systemic lupus erythematosus and thyroid diseases. IMAJ 2004; 6. 218– 220
- S.A. Chambers, S C Charman, A Rahman, D A Isenberg et al. Development of additional autoimmune disease in multiethnic cohort of patients with systematic lupus erythematos with reference to damage and mortality .Ann. Rheum Diseases 2007.
- Hui Wu, Rita M. Cantor, Deborah S Cunningha, Cecilia M Julkunen, Lee A, Hebert, Brad H. Rovin, Lingren, Lisa Farwell, Philip L. De Jader, Nunzia Bottini, Jennifer M GROSSMAN, Daniel J. Wallace, Berva H, Hahn, Heikki
- Namjou B, Kelly JA, Kilpatrick J, Kaufman KM, Nath SK, Scofield RH, Harley JB. Linkage at 5q14.3-15 in multiplex systemic lupus erythematosus pedigrees stratified by autoimmune thyroid disease Arthritis Rheum. 2005 Nov; 52(11):3646-50
- Shiroky JB, Cohen M, Ballachey M-L, Neville C (1993) Thyroid dysfunction in rheumatoid arthritis; a controlled prospective survey. Ann Rheum Dis 52, 454–6.
- Porkodi R, Ramesh S, Mahesh A, Kanakarani P, Rukmangathrajan S, Rajedran C (2004) Thyroid dysfunction in systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis. J Indian Rheumatol Assoc 12, 88 –97
- Gordon MB, Klein I, Dekker A, Rodnan GP, Medsger TA, Jr. Thyroid disease in progressive systemic sclerosis: increased frequency of glandular fibrosis and hypothyroidism. Ann Intern Med (1981) 95:431–5.10.7326/0003-4819-95-4-431
- Yavne, Y., Tiosano, S., Watad, A., Comaneshter, D., Shoenfeld, Y., Cohen, A. and Amital, H. (2017). Association between giant cell arteritis and thyroid dysfunction in a “real life” population. Endocrine, 57(2), pp.241-246.
- Antonelli A, Fazzi P, Fallahi P, Ferrari SM, Ferrannini E. Prevalence of hypothyroidism and Graves disease in sarcoidosis. Chest (2006) 130:526–32.
- Lange U, Boss B, Teichmann J, Klett R, Stracke H, Bretzel RG et al .Thyroid disorders in female patients with Ankylosing Spondylitis. Eur J Med Res (1999) 22:468-474.
- Peluso R, Lupoli GA, Del Puente A, Iervolino S, Bruner V, Lupoli R et al. Prevalence of thyroid autoimmunity in patients with spondyloarthropathies. J Rheumatology (2011) 38:1-7.
- Zeher M, Horvath IF, Szanto A, et al. Autoimmune thyroid diseases in a large group of Hungarian patients with primary Sjögren’s syndrome. Thyroid. 2009;19:39–44.
- Newman A J, Lee C. Hypothyroidism simulating Dermatomyositis, J Paedia 1980;95:772-774.
Disclaimer: All papers published in IJRST will be indexed on Google Search Engine as per their policy.